Advocacy & Legislative Affairs:
Advocacy. The Business Advocacy Committee shall be charged with the primary responsibility to promote a positive and pro-active business environment in the Galveston area through the following activities:
- Developing and supporting local governmental action which promotes a strong business climate and job growth opportunities.
- Opposing local governmental action which inhibits a strong business climate and diminishes job growth opportunities.
- Establishing productive relationships between business interests and public officials.
- Providing forums to inform public officials and candidates for public office on issues impacting the business community.
- Providing forums to educate the membership on issues impacting the business community.
- Communicating official Chamber positions to the appropriate public officials prior to their action on the issue.
- Identifying and supporting individuals to serve on public Commissions and Boards.
- Endeavoring to hold public officials accountable for their actions and the resulting impact on the business community. This may be accomplished by the circulation of public official voting records to the Chamber membership on any issue on which the Chamber has communicated an official position.
Legislative Affairs. The mission for Legislative Affairs is to advocate through the Legislature for member businesses, providing a voice to not only the local level, but at State and National levels as well.