To manage the overall maintenance, repair, and operational readiness of Sea Star Base Galveston (SSBG) waterfront. Waterfront management includes planning, scheduling, and execution of waterfront docks, equipment and vessel maintenance and repair, administration of the vessel maintenance records, and overall operational readiness of the SSBG vessel fleet and marine facilities in support of the programmatic missions of SSBG.
Duties and responsibilities
1. Manage and direct all waterfront and Baysmart personnel, including their performance.
2. Keep waterfront operating as efficiently as possible to facilitate the smooth running of events as well as to keep all inhabitants safe and comfortable.
3. Ensure the priorities and needs of all programs are communicated with the Deputy Director, Camp Director, and Community Sailing & Aquatics Manager.
4. With the assistance of the Deputy Director, develop Scopes of Work, overseeing bids, manage repair contracts, and ensure repairs are completed and correct.
5. Coordinate, develop, direct, and evaluate the effectiveness of all safety and security training and programs for SSBG. Ensure vessels have all required safety equipment on board and are in compliance with all US Coast Guard safety regulations and operating designations and overall vessel operations best practices.
6. Examine all activities involving the use of vessels, regardless of the ownership of the vessel, and initiate action to stop any operation or hazardous practice where there appears to be impending danger of potential human injury or death, or serious damage to equipment, material, or facilities.
7. Manage and maintain the maintenance program and maintenance and repair records for all SSBG vessels and related equipment.
8. Develop and manage capital and operating budgets for vessel maintenance and repair services.
10. Plan and oversee modifications, maintenance, repairs, and improvements to the vessel fleet as necessary and establish contacts with and direct efforts of consultants, engineers, contractors, and vendors engaged in SSBG projects.
11. Inspect vessels that are proposed for donation to the organization and make recommendations regarding vessel seaworthiness and projected maintenance costs for the vessel.
12. Other duties as assigned.
Education: Associates degree in Marine or Maritime-related technical field or equivalent combination of training and experience.
Experience: Ten years in marine maintenance or maritime facilities maintenance.
1) Must have a State of Texas Class "C" vehicle license.
2) Proven record of successful supervisory/management skills.
3) Requires the ability to work cooperatively with others.
4) Knowledge of Internal combustion engines (diesel and gasoline).
5) Knowledge of marine transmissions and propulsion systems.
6) Knowledge of marine electrical systems AC/DC.
7) Knowledge of marine auxiliaries including but not limited to hydraulics, refrigeration, sewage collection, digital controls, and automation.
8) Knowledge of HVAC and Chill water control systems.
9) Must have USCG Master’s License; 100-ton; near coastal with towing endorsement
10)First Aid/CPR/AED certification
The work will generally be performed during the workweek; however, circumstances often require evening and weekend work, working outdoors, and working with SSBG clientele. The position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing.
The job may require standing for extended periods of time and performing repetitive tasks with few breaks. The person should be able to lift objects up to 40 pounds as needed.